Contenders remain silent in Super League weekend

Contenders remain silent in Super League weekend

ISTANBUL - Hürriyet Daily News
Contenders remain silent in Super League weekend

Galatasaray’s Brazilian midfielder Felipe Melo (top) heads a ball after his challenge with Mersin İdman Yurdu veteran Erman Özgür in the two teams’ Spor Toto Super League clash. AA photo

A goalless draw between Istanbul BB and Bursaspor continued a quiet weekend for the Spor Toto Super League title contenders yesterday.

Starting the weekend in third spot, Istanbul BB failed to capitalize on the top teams’ slumps and failed to break the deadlock against the 2010 champion.

Istanbul BB started the season above expectations and jumped to the third spot behind its giant neighbors.

Istanbul BB is third with 18 points and sits behind second-place Galatasaray on the basis of goal difference.

Leader Fenerbahçe has 21 points.

The two members of Istanbul’s elite could not finish the weekend with victories, either.

Galatasaray was held to a goalless draw against Mersin İdman Yurdu on Nov. 5.

The Istanbul team was upset with the draw, but it was hardly the best team at the Türk Telekom Arena that night, with Mersin İdman Yurdu having every right to be sad about missing two points.

Andre Moritz saw a penalty kick saved brilliantly by goalkeeper Fernando Muslera during the last minutes of the first half, while winger Nduka Ozokwo was denied by the bar in an open chance in the second half.

Galatasaray’s best opportunity to win the game fell to Johan Elmander, who passed Mersin goalkeeper Ibrahim Sehic, but shot the ball wide.

The Lions also blew a chance to close in on Fenerbahçe after the Yellow Canaries lost to Sivasspor.

Fenerbahçe’s 27-match unbeaten streak, a run dating back to late in 2010, was ended at Sivasspor. The defending champions were downed by goals from Michael Eneramo and Kamil Grosicki on Nov. 4.

Fenerbahçe, playing without its captain and leading scorer Alex de Souza, showed no impact against a dynamic Sivasspor side.

Alex was sent off early in his team’s match against Kardemir Karabük on Oct. 31, but Fenerbahçe showed they could adjust to life without the Brazilian, going on to win the game 1-0.

However, this was not the case against Sivasspor. Eneramo took the ball close to the goal in the 37th minute and shot the ball from the tightest of angles. Kamil Grosicki closed the door for a Fenerbahçe comeback in the 72nd minute.

Also that night, Ankaragücü came back from a two-goal defeat against Samsunspor to make it 2-2, ending a five-match losing streak.

On Nov. 5, Manisaspor beat Antalyaspor 1-0 while Eskişehirspor won 2-1 at Kardemir Karabük.

Karabük coach Yücel İldiz, who has been coaching the club for three years and was at the helm when the team was promoted from Bank Asya League One, resigned after the defeat.