CHP wants quick coup trials to sooth society
TOKAT- Anadolu Agency
AA photoMain opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu has stressed the need for the trial without delay of suspects in the July 15 coup attempt, warning that nearly 1 million people had suffered from the state of emergency declared in the wake of the failed takeover bid.
Kılıçdaroğlu said he ordered provincial headquarters of the CHP to embrace victims of the post-coup attempt period.
“They object to me backing those sufferers. Yes, I will do it all the way,” he added.
The CHP leader stated that nearly 1 million people had been victimized by state of emergency practices.
Kılıçdaroğlu stressed that the CHP rejected any coup attempt, saying no one could dare bomb parliament, however adding his party objected to state of emergency decrees, calling on the government to bring any amendments to parliament.
“We have to defend democracy all the way. Yet statesmen should behave within [the boundaries of] justice,” he stated.
Kılıçdaroğlu recalled thousands of teachers who were discharged over being union members. “Since when is being a member of a union a crime?” he asked, stressing that being a union member was a constitutional right and arguing they could not be dismissed.
If they were guilty, they should first be brought to court, the CHP leader said, reminding of academics who were dismissed for signing a petition.
Dismissed public servants were both discharged and denied from getting a job with social security benefits, Kılıçdaroğlu said.
“What will happen to them? Will they take up arms and take to the hills?” he asked.
The CHP announced on Sept. 14 that they had received some 30,000 complaints from people who believed they were unfairly treated in the probes into Turkey’s bloody coup attempt of July 15.
So far more than 80,000 people have been suspended from public office, while more than half of them have also been sacked. More than half of those sacked were teachers and principals under the Education Ministry. There are also more than 3,000 removed military officers, some of whom were arrested on the night of the coup attempt.
There are also thousands of judges, prosecutors, police officers and university professors among those either suspended or removed from their offices (some of whom were arrested), accused of acting on behalf of the “Fethullahist Terror Organization” (FETÖ), as denounced by the government and prosecutors carrying out the probes.