21 tourists poisoned in hotel in Istanbul
ISTANBUL - Doğan News Agency
Health authorities have immediately hospitalized the guests and employees in the Modern Sultan Hotel with carbon monoxide poisoning. DHA photoTwenty-one foreign hotel guests and two employees were poisoned by carbon monoxide in a hotel in Istanbul’s Fatih district yesterday.
Local business owners around the Modern Sultan Hotel alerted police, firefighters and medical services yesterday after noticing an intense gas smell emanating from the premises. Health authorities immediately hospitalized the guests and employees with carbon monoxide poisoning.
Authorities’ initial investigation revealed a problem with the hotel’s chimney that meant gas was circulating throughout the hotel instead of being removed with the chimney.
The health condition of the some of the poisioned reported to be severe. Officials cut down the gas supply of the whole building to prevent any future catastrophes.
An official statement from the Istanbul gas distribution agency, İGDAŞ, confirmed the police investigation results.
Victims in treatment
Police are conducting an ongoing investigation while the victims are continuing to receive treatment.
Modern Sultan Hotel is situated in the Sultanhamet neighborhood of the Fatih district, a quarter much frequented by tourists due to its rich historical wealth. Therefore, the area host many hotels and is among the most preferred accommodation areas in Istanbul.