12 PKK militants killed in airstrikes in Turkey’s southeast, northern Iraq

12 PKK militants killed in airstrikes in Turkey’s southeast, northern Iraq

12 PKK militants killed in airstrikes in Turkey’s southeast, northern Iraq A total of 12 outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) militants were killed in separate operations in Turkey’s southeast and northern Iraq late on July 29, while one soldier was killed in clashes as part of security forces’ operations in the eastern province of Hakkari on July 30, the military has stated.

According to a Turkish Armed Forces statement, warplanes launched an operation in the Zap and Matina regions of northern Iraq on the evening of July 29, killing three militants who were allegedly preparing for an attack.

The jets also destroyed three weapon pits and two caves used by militants in the region, the statement read.      

Another air operation was conducted in the Faraşin region of the Beytüşşebap district of the southeastern province of Şırnak on the evening of July 29, according to the Turkish General Staff.        

The statement said the airstrikes killed nine PKK militants, including a senior figure codenamed “Derya” and another in the team of a so-called command center after they had been spotted by drones.

However, one soldier was killed on July 30 in an operation against PKK militants in the Baykörü Testere region of Hakkari, Doğan News Agency reported.

Meanwhile, the General Staff said in a statement on July 30 that security forces seized a number of ammunition and organizational documents belonging to the PKK during field searches in Hakkari and the eastern province of Bingöl a day earlier.

It said hand-made explosives were found and detonated controllably during searches in the Yüksekova, Şemdinli and Çukurca districts.

One Kalashnikov rifle, 4,400 cartridges, three rocket propelled grenade ammunitions, 17 hand-made explosive, one thermal camera, one anemometer, one plastic boat, four cylinders, 150 kilograms of foodstuff along with organizational documents were also seized during searches in the Kiğı district of Bingöl, the military added.

Separately, one soldier who was killed in a friendly fire in the Çukurca district on July 29 was sent to his hometown of Kütahya to be laid to rest.

Private Semih Akyılıdz was killed by a fellow soldier during the changing of guards near the Testere mount. He was rushed to hospital but could not be rescued despite medical efforts.

Akyıldız’s body was sent to the Aegean province of Kütahya following a funeral ceremony at the Hakkari commando command.