Turkey denies reports on ‘abduction of FETÖ member’ in Mongolia

Turkey denies reports on ‘abduction of FETÖ member’ in Mongolia

Turkey denies reports on ‘abduction of FETÖ member’ in Mongolia

Veysel Akçay

Turkey on July 30 refuted allegations that there was an attempt to kidnap a Turkish national with alleged links to the Fetullahist Terror Organization (FETÖ) in Mongolia

Media outlets had speculated last week that Veysel Akçay, who allegedly managed FETÖ’s school network in Mongolia, was apprehended by members of the Turkish National Intelligence Organization (MİT) with the help of the Mongolian intelligence and taken to an airport in Ulaanbaatar to be transferred to Turkey.

According to media reports, the Mongolian authorities, however, grounded the plane for several hours.

The fate of the FETÖ suspect was unknown.

“Turkey never interferes with the internal security measures of other countries,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hami Aksoy said in a written statement.

“Therefore, we are deeply resentful that the developments on July 27 in Mongolia were presented as an abduction operation. Such allegations are totally unfounded and therefore we reject them,” Aksoy added.

“FETÖ has a large presence in Mongolia, posing a danger to the Mongolian national security, as well. We have conveyed our serious concerns and expectations to the Mongolian authorities concerning this issue, time and again,” the spokesman added.

Turkey rightfully expects that FETÖ members be brought to justice, yet, it is up to the Mongolian government to decide on the course of action against FETÖ in Mongolia, according to Aksoy.

The ambassador of Mongolia in Ankara was summoned to the Foreign Ministry on July 28.

“The ambassador was informed about these facts and the handling of the case by the Mongolian authorities was strongly protested,” Aksoy said.

The followers of U.S-based Fethullah Gülen, the leader of the Gülen movement, are widely believed to have carried out the coup attempt on July 15, 2016, which left 250 people dead and nearly 2,200 injured.