Trump says he's prepared to spend millions on campaign
BIRCH RUN, Michigan - The Associated Press
Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump gives the key note speech at the Republican Party Lincoln Day event in Birch Run, Michigan, August 11, 2015. Reuters PhotoBillionaire and Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump says he's prepared to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on his presidential campaign as long as he's doing well in the polls.
In an interview with Fox News Channel's Sean Hannity set to air on August 11 night, Trump was asked whether he was prepared to spend $345 million dollars or more to fund his establishment-bucking campaign.
"Sure. You saw my income, my income is $400M a year," Trump responded, according to highlights released by the network. "Sure, I would spend that if I am doing well!"
Trump has been in the spotlight since dominating the Republican party's first televised debate last week, in which he sparred with the network's Megyn Kelly on the issue of his treatment of women. He is still considered a long-shot candidate for the party nomination in the 2016 election, but has been leading in the polls after stirring controversy with contentious remarks about Mexican immigrants and lashing out at his opponents.
Trump's campaign has begun soliciting fundraising dollars through its website. Despite the appeals, campaign spokeswoman Hope Hicks said that Trump will continue to finance the campaign, but has "been overwhelmed by unsolicited contributions."
She said that Trump will match any money coming in.
Trump's campaign so far has been dominated by one firestorm after the next, the latest involving Kelly's debate questions. The former reality television star, furious over what he deemed unfair treatment, lashed out at Kelly and the network, telling CNN on Friday that during the debate Kelly had "blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever."
But the feud between Trump and Fox News, one of the most powerful voices in Republican and conservative circles, appeared to thaw on August 10 after the network's chairman, Roger Ailes, reached out to Trump directly to clear the air.
"I assured him that we will continue to cover this campaign with fairness & balance," Ailes said in a statement.
The network announced shortly after that Trump would be appearing on two of its shows on August 11, including a lengthy interview with Hannity.