Slain Turkish prosecutor Kiraz commemorated on first anniversary of killing

Slain Turkish prosecutor Kiraz commemorated on first anniversary of killing

ISTANBUL – Anadolu Agency
Slain Turkish prosecutor Kiraz commemorated on first anniversary of killing

AA photo

Turkish prosecutor Mehmet Selim Kiraz was commemorated on the first anniversary of his death at Istanbul’s Çağlayan Courthouse, where he was shot dead after being taken hostage by members of the outlawed far-left group the Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C). 

The ceremony in the courthouse’s atrium was attended by Kiraz’s family, colleagues and Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor Hadi Salihoğlu.

“Schemes to terrorize and betray our country are ongoing,” Salihoğlu told reporters, adding that “many more Turkish patriots” were likely to be “martyred” to ensure the country’s survival.  

He also stressed that both a warrant and a red notice had been issued about nine DHKP-C militants linked to the killing who are reportedly abroad. 

The six-hour hostage crisis in 2015 was led by two DHKP-C militants, both of whom were later killed by security forces. 

A library named after Kiraz was inaugurated at the courthouse on the first anniversary of his killing, after participants of the commemoration visited his former office and left red carnations in his memory. The group later visited his grave in Istanbul’s Eyüp Cemetary, where his father, Hakkı Kiraz, told the press that the high number of attendants “proved that his son was still alive.” 

“He is here, he is everywhere, in every corner of Turkey. His killers died. But he reached immortality,” he said.

Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ also released a message on the occasion, extending his condolences to the Kiraz family and colleagues. 

“Those who try to control, shape or change the independence and future of our state and nation through the bloody and dirty methods of terror will never succeed,” Bozdağ said. 

Two DHKP-C militants took Kiraz, the prosecutor in the controversial case into the killing of Gezi victim Berkin Elvan, hostage on March 31.

The perpetrators’ demands included a live confession by the police officers suspected of killing Elvan, the prosecution of the officers in a “people’s court,” and the acquittal of all those being tried for participation in solidarity rallies for Elvan.

Both militants were killed in a rescue operation by the security forces, while Kiraz was taken to hospital and later succumbed to his wounds.