Independent deputy candidate reported missing in Turkey’s southeast, six interrogated
ŞANLIURFA – Anadolu Agency
DHA PhotoAn independent deputy candidate went missing in a district in the southeastern province of Şanlıurfa on May 30, prompting the interrogation of six people in the resulting investigation, according to the governor.
Relatives of 41-year-old Halil İbrahim Gögüş, an independent deputy candidate from Şanlıurfa, reported him missing, saying they had not received any news from him since May 30, when he went to the Karaköprü district to conduct campaigning ahead of the June 7 parliamentary elections.
While six people have been detained and interrogated following the incident, four have been released and proceedings against two of the suspects are ongoing.
Labor and Social Security Minister Faruk Çelik has said there is no clear information on the whereabouts of Göğüş.
“I hope nothing negative has occurred and he will continue his campaign very soon,” Çelik said.
Şanlıurfa Gov. İzettin Küçük said he was saddened that such an incident had taken place and that an investigation into finding Gögüş was being conducted.
“It has not been possible to receive any news from him since after his election campaign on [May 30]. Six people have been detained in regard to the incident,” Küçük said May 31, adding that the media would be updated as developments occurred.
İzzet said Göğüş was not from Şanlıurfa and did not have many connections with the province as he was registered in Adıyaman’s Besni district and had previously lived in Japan, while his family currently resides in the Aegean province of İzmir.
“He is a candidate that does not have a lot of connections with Şanlıurfa. Initial information indicates that he became a candidate in this province with the guidance of some people,” Küçük said.
Meanwhile, Doğan News Agency reported that one individual, identified as M.D. and reported to be the person last seen with Göğüş, was detained and had testified within the scope of the investigation.