Army accepts resignation of Navy Adm. Nusret Güner, chides media
ANKARA - Hürriyet Daily News
It has been revealed that Güner’s reported resignation came soon after an Istanbul court accepted an indictment regarding the case of an alleged espionage gang in İzmir. Some 88 suspects are already under arrest, while over 50 officers on active duty have been included on the case’s list of suspects, charged with listening to private phone conversations, spying on officers’ bedrooms with cameras and blackmail. The alleged gang has also been accused of sending sex workers to officers’ homes.The General Staff confirmed Jan. 28 media reports on the resignation of Navy Adm. Nusret Güner and announced that his resignation had been accepted.
The General Staff, in a written statement, also expressed its uneasiness about media coverage of an internal issue of the Turkish Armed forces (TSK).
“The retirement request of our Navy commander, which appeared in the media in recent days, has been accepted,” the statement said.
“The Turkish Armed Forces doesn’t find it appropriate to bring issues about our institution to the agenda through the media.”
Last week, media reports said Güner’s reported resignation came soon after an Istanbul court accepted an indictment regarding the case of an alleged espionage gang in İzmir.
Arınç sympathizes with commander
Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç has expressed his sympathy for the resigned Navy Commander Adm. Nusret Güner, indicating that he and his daughter were victims of an alleged military espionage gang.
“His demand for retirement is totally up to him. According to the indictment of a recently launched [military espionage gang] probe, a shameless crime against the daughter of our esteemed commander was committed. He’s probably seriously offended by this despicable plot,” Arınç told reporters after a Cabinet meeting, adding that the military echelons would not be affected by Güner’s resignation.
According to the indictment of the probe launched into the alleged military espionage gang, Güner is among the victims of the case, as a video camera was placed in the room of Güner’s daughter in order to blackmail him.
The documents of the probe include information about Güner and his daughter. A document dating back to Sept. 6, 2010 reads: “Don’t forget that Nusret Paşa is very sensitive about his daughter.”
Another document dated Jan. 12, 2011 states: “A non-commissioned officer placed a video camera in the daughter’s room on one of the occasions when he entered Nusret Güner’s house. It is very good. The video camera will be retrieved after a certain amount of time.”
In a document dated April 4, 2011, it is stated: “The non-commissioned officer had taken away the video camera that he placed in the room. There is some good footage that can be used. I am sending them in the attachment.”
Güner was expected to be appointed to the post currently held by Naval Forces Commander Adm. Murat Bilgel, whose tenure ends in August.