Ankara asks for Patriot missiles amid Idlib tensions
Two Turkish soldiers were killed and five were wounded on Feb. 20 in an airstrike in northwestern Syria, Turkey said, after an attack by Ankara-backed opposition forces that targeted Syrian regime troops.
At least 15 Turkish soldiers have been killed in Syria this month amid a crushing offensive by Bashar Assad's forces aimed at recapturing remaining opposition-held areas in the region.
Intent on halting the advance, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had vowed Feb. 12 to take military action "everywhere in Syria" if another Turkish soldier was killed or wounded.
The multiple front offensive has triggered the biggest single wave of fleeing civilians in Syria's nine-year war, displacing nearly 1 million people who have rushed toward the Turkish border and are sheltering in tents or sleeping rough in harsh winter weather.
It has also risked completely shattering a fragile cooperation between Ankara and Moscow, which back opposing sides of the Syria war.
Ankara has sent thousands of soldiers to northwestern Syria to try to stem the Syrian regime's advance on the province near the Turkish border, leading to the repeated flare-ups.
Feb. 20's exchange marked a serious escalation that risks growing into a full-blown conflict between Turkey and Syria. Erdoğan has also called on Assad's forces to retreat from Idlib or face an "imminent" Turkish attack.
"We are delivering our final warnings. We have not reached the desired results as yet," Erdoğan said on Feb. 19. "The operation in Idlib is a matter of time. We could enter [Idlib] suddenly one night."
The exchange began after opposition fighters shelled Syrian regime forces and entered the village of Nairab, which Assad's forces had captured Feb. 3, Turkey's state-run Anadolu Agency said.
The Russian military said their actions "were supported by Turkish artillery fire," which allowed them to break through the Syrian regime's defenses. Four Syrian soldiers were wounded in the Turkish shelling, it said.
At the Syrian regime's request, Russian Su-24 bombers then struck the militants to prevent them from advancing and allowing their forces to "successfully repel all attacks," the military added.
It was not immediately clear whether it was the Russian airstrikes that killed the two Turkish soldiers and injured five others.
Turkey's Communications Director Fahrettin Altun said the attack was carried out by Syrian regime's forces. On Twitter, he wrote: "The blood of our martyrs won't be left unaccounted for."
The Turkish Defense Ministry tweeted that as many as 50 Syrian regime's soldiers were killed and that five tanks, two armored personnel carriers and other equipment were destroyed.
Turkey and Russia have closely coordinated their moves in recent years in Idlib province. Turkey maintains observation posts in northern Syria that were set up to monitor a 2018 cease-fire agreement with Russia. The truce collapsed in late 2019, leading to the current Syrian offensive, backed by Russia.
Russian officials have said they hold Turkey responsible for the collapse of the cease-fire deal, saying Ankara had not held up its end to rein in militants who continued attacking Syrian and Russian targets.
Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar on Feb. 20 rejected the Russian assertion, saying Ankara was making progress against radical groups in Idlib when the regime launched its offensive.
Ankara sent in thousands of additional troops and armored vehicles in recent weeks, vowing to halt the regime's advance.
Akar said Turkey's military has prepared "plans A, B and C" for a possible offensive in Idlib.
So far, talks between Turkish and Russian officials have failed to reach agreements that would ease tensions there.
Akar said Turkey had no intention to come "head to head with Russia," insisting that Turkey's aim was to ensure that the Syrian regime abides by the cease-fire agreement for the province.
“The most important issues are ensuring a stable cease-fire and stopping the migration, thus relieving the public," he said.
"Our expectations are clear. Our stance has not changed,” he added.
Asked how Washington can support Turkey in Idlib, he said the United States or other NATO countries could deploy Patriot missile defense systems on the Turkish border with Syria to guard against possible attacks from Syrian territory.
“They [the U.S.] previously sent us air defense batteries. Our country is threatened through air strikes and missiles. So there might be Patriot [missile] support. NATO’s secretary-general also made comments on the issue. [Jens] Stoltenberg is closely watching the situation, and there might be further action and plans coming from their side," Akar said.
The minister also said that Turkey is not going through an "axis shift" but "simply" acting for the sake of the nation's interests.
“No one should try to push us out. We are in NATO, and we will be in NATO. Also, nothing has changed in our EU efforts. We do what is necessary in this issue, but the problems are being created by Europe," he said.
In Washington, a U.S. official said the United States was aware of Turkey's request for Patriot missiles for use on the border with Syria. But no decision has been made, said the official, who agreed to comment on the matter only on condition of anonymity.
Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed Idlib in a phone call with French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, the Kremlin said, noting the leaders emphasized the need to avoid "negative humanitarian consequences for the civilian population."
In the call, Putin "underlined the need to take efficient measures to neutralize the terrorist threat while respecting sovereignty and territorial integrity of Syria," it said, adding that the leaders of France and Germany offered to help reduce tensions.
The French offered a slightly different version of the conversation, saying in a statement after the call that Merkel and Macron "warned President Putin about the humanitarian situation for the civilian population in Idlib," and called for an immediate stop to hostilities and an end to the blocking of humanitarian aid. Macron and Merkel said they were available to meet quickly with Putin and Erdoğan to find a political solution.
The region is seeing 900,000 people on the run in Idlib during a bitterly cold winter with nowhere to go. Aid organizations said they were overwhelmed and facing severe shortages.
U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said a massive cross-border operation was underway in Syria's northwest to assist civilians.
"A total of 1,227 trucks of humanitarian assistance crossed from Turkey through Bab al-Hawa and Bab al-Salam cross-border checks last month compared to 928 trucks in December," Dujarric said. "This is the largest amount of aid the United Nations has sent across the Syrian-Turkish border in [any month] since the operation was authorized in 2014."
In the attack on the village of Nairab, the Anadolu Agency said the opposition moved in after Syrian regime targets there were hit by artillery fire. They destroyed a tank and an APC belonging to Syrian forces and seized a second tank, according to the report.
Syrian regime's activists confirmed the report, saying Turkey-backed insurgents stormed the village near the strategic town of Saraqeb, both of which were held by Syrian troops.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Syria war monitor, said the clashes and bombardment in and near Nairab left two Turkish soldiers dead as well as killing 14 insurgents and 11 pro-regime fighters. It said the opposition facts withdrew from the village by evening.