240 FETÖ suspects detained over two days
Some 240 people were detained in Turkey on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 over suspected links to the Fetullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ) of U.S.-based Fethullah Gülen, believed to have been behind the July 2016 coup attempt.
The detained suspects, from a total of 360 for who detention warrants were issued, were detained in raids against the military structure of the group, said a judicial source, speaking on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media.
Police launched simultaneous operations in 49 provinces across Turkey, detaining 172 suspects on Nov. 30. Some 68 more suspects were detained on Dec. 1.
The judicial source said the warrants focused mainly on military personnel, some of whom were fired following the defeated coup attempt on July 15, 2016. The majority, 216 of the targets, were active-duty soldiers.
Among the active-duty and fired personnel arrested were seven colonels, two lieutenants, 22 majors, 25 captains, 30 military students, and many lower-ranking officers, according to source.
Most suspects were brought to the Istanbul Police Department after health checkups.
The official said 27 of the suspects were so-called “imams” of the group, referring to senior figures within FETO responsible for coordinating cells in the armed forces.
FETÖ members in the military were at the forefront of last year’s attempted coup that saw 250 people killed and 2,200 injured.