Police convinced mass killer Breivik acted alone
OSLO - The Associated PressNorwegian police said yesterday they are confident that confessed mass killer Anders Behring Breivik acted on his own in terror attacks last year that killed 77 people and found no evidence that he belonged to a Europe-wide anti-Muslim network.
Three officers who testified at Breivik’s trial told the court they found no proof of anyone being complicit in Breivik’s plans or helping him in any way in the July 22 bomb attack in central Oslo and the subsequent shooting spree at a youth camp on an island. Chief investigator Kenneth Wilberg said police were sure of their findings and that they also found no proof that Breivik belonged to “Knights Templar,” a far-right network, as claimed by the killer. “Nothing in our investigation supports that Knights Templar exists,” he said.
After Breivik surrendered, he told police he was a resistance fighter in a militant group modeled after the Knights Templar, a Christian order that fought during the crusades. The trial is scheduled to last until the end of June.