Libya suicide attack claimed by ISIL kills five militia
TRIPOLI - Agence France-Presse
Libya Dawn fighters fire an artillery cannon at ISIL militants near Sirte March 19, 2015. Reuters PhotoA pre-dawn suicide attack in northwest Libya May 31 claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) killed five members of the Fajr Libya militia alliance that controls the capital, a militia spokesman said.
"A car suicide bomber blew himself up near a checkpoint at an entrance of Dafniya," between the town of Zliten and Libya's third city Misrata, said the Fajr Libya spokesman.
The attack, which occurred at 3:00 am (0500 GMT), killed five members of the militia alliance and wounded seven others, he added.
The LANA news agency of the militia-backed Tripoli administration, gave a similar account of the attack, and also reporting that five were dead.
ISIL claimed responsibility for the attack on Twitter, identifying the suicide bomber as a Tunisian named Abu Wahib al-Tunsi.
The jihadists have taken advantage of the chaos since the 2011 ouster of longtime leader Moamer Kadhafi to establish a foothold in Libya.
Fajr Libya, a coalition of militias, including Islamists, seized power in Tripoli last year.
It installed a new government and parliament in the capital, prompting the administration recognised by the international community to flee to the east of the country.