Galatasaray appeals FIFA decision to block Grosskreutz transfer
AA photoSpor Toto Super League club Galatasaray has filed an appeal with world football’s governing body FIFA to receive dispensation to field its new signing Kevin Grosskreutz after a scandalous transfer failure.
In its appeal, Galatasaray said all necessary paperwork had been completed on the final day of the transfer window, adding that the Turkish Football Federation (TFF) officials were also witnesses, but that there had been a “fault due to the workload.”
The TFF also added an official letter to the appeal, backing Galatasaray’s version of the story, while Grosskreutz said in an official appeal that he was “stripped of his right to work.”
Galatasaray expects to be fined for the incident and be allowed to field the player. If the appeal fails, the club will apply to the Court of Arbitration of Sports (CAS).
Grosskreutz has already moved to Istanbul and started to participate in his new club’s training sessions. If the appeals fail, he will not be eligible to play in any official game until Jan. 1.
The Istanbul club signed the German winger from Borussia Dortmund in the final hours of Aug. 31, the deadline of the summer transfer window.
However, FIFA refused on Sept. 2 to permit the player’s proposed move until the winter transfer window starting on Jan. 1.
Galatasaray said in a written statement at the time that the move was rejected by FIFA “not due to the timing of the application, but incomplete paperwork.”
FIFA announced that “all the necessary steps for the settlement of this envisaged transfers within the prescribed time frame” had not been taken.
The documents sent by Galatasaray to FIFA for the transfer lacked the signatures of the club’s officials, daily Hürriyet reported.
The failure to sign the documents prompted fury from the club’s supporters.
Before moving to Galatasaray, the 27-year-old German spent six seasons with Dortmund, making 236 appearances in all competitions, scoring 27 goals and adding 37 assists.
However, after pre-season injuries and a public falling out with new Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel, Grosskreutz was sent to train and play with Dortmund’s reserve squad.