Bahrain pays millions to victims’ families
Protesters clash with security forces in Bahrain’s Pearl Square in Manama in this 2011 photo. Security forces crushed protests, leaving 35 people dead. Hürriyet photoBahrain has paid out $2.6 million in compensation to the families of 17 people killed in last year’s bloody crackdown on Shiite-led pro-democracy protests, a government statement said June 26.
It was the first time the authorities had paid compensation for those who perished when the security forces crushed the February-March 2011 protests, leaving 35 people dead, according to an independent inquiry. The statement said the compensation payments came in response to a recommendation by the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry (BICI), set up by King Hamad to probe allegations of government wrong-doing and excessive use of force by the security forces.
Murder charges against three police officers
“Acting upon recommendations in the (BICI) report ... (the government) announced the disbursement of $2.6 million to the families of 17 deceased individuals,” the statement said, according to Agence France-Presse adding that the “average payout came to just under $153,000 per family.” The payouts were ordered by King Hamad himself and were aimed at addressing “grievances ... caused by recent unrest,” the statement said.
In a separate announcement, the government said the kingdom’s High Criminal Court has filed murder charges against three police officers, including one lieutenant, for their role in the deaths of three people during last year’s protests. The policemen were originally charged with manslaughter but “are now facing murder charges in the deaths of Ali Ahmed Abdulla, Isa Abdul Hassan and Hani Abdulaziz Goma in three separate incidents,” the statement said.
Manslaughter carries a maximum sentence of seven years in Bahrain, according to the statement. Murder charges carry a sentence of “life imprisonment or even the death penalty.” If found guilty, the policemen “are likely to receive the toughest penalties allowed by law,” the statement added. Amnesty says 60 people have been killed since the protests erupted in February 2011 in the Shiite-majority Gulf kingdom ruled by the Sunni Al-Khalifa dynasty.