UEFA says ‘cannot predict’ outcome of match-fixing case
DAILY NEWS photo / Emrah GürelEuropean football’s governing body has refuted Turkish media reports that Fenerbahçe ve Beşiktaş would not face sanctions following the hearings at the UEFA disciplinary bodies.
UEFA said in a written statement June 14 that the UEFA disciplinary bodies are “independent and, consequently, that it is not possible for the UEFA administration to predict what the outcome of the procedures will be.”
“For the avoidance of doubt and in view of certain misleading stories that have appeared in the Turkish news media, at a meeting in Nyon yesterday with representatives of the Turkish Football Federation (TFF), which had been requested by the TFF, UEFA first of all emphasized that UEFA disciplinary bodies will apply the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations and decide the cases accordingly,” the statement read.
“It is therefore not a question of the eventual UEFA decisions ‘affecting’ (or not) any previous decisions taken by the disciplinary bodies of the TFF. In his report, the UEFA disciplinary inspector had taken note of the existence (and content) of the decisions taken by the disciplinary bodies of the TFF as well as of the different ongoing criminal proceedings,” the statement added.
Recent reports in the Turkish media said, citing unnamed UEFA sources, that Fenerbahçe and Beşiktaş would not face any sanctions even if they were found guilty, since only the TFF and the authority to punish them.
On June 10, UEFA announced that Beşiktaş and Fenerbahçe face possible sanctions on match-fixing accusations.
“Proceedings have been opened against Beşiktaş and two club officials in relation to match-fixing activities that are alleged to have taken place during the 2011 Turkish Cup final,” UEFA said in a written statement published on its website.
“Furthermore, following the investigation into alleged match-fixing activities involving Fenerbahçe, the UEFA Disciplinary Inspector has now submitted his findings to the Control and Disciplinary Body, in the context of disciplinary proceedings against this club and five club officials,” the statement read.
Both Turkish clubs and their executives are involved in a match-fixing probe that started on July 3, 2011, regarding a number of games in the 2010-2011 season, when the league was won by Fenerbahçe. Several Fenerbahçe officials, including chairman Yıldırım and vice-chairman Mosturoğlu, were found guilty of rigging when the judge gave his verdict last July.
Beşiktaş’s case will be heard by the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body on June 21, while Fenerbahçe’s case will be heard on June 22 at the House of European Football in Nyon.