North Korea test fires two powerful, mid-range missiles
SEOUL – Agence France-Presse
AP photoNuclear-armed North Korea conducted two back-to-back tests of a powerful new medium-range missile on June 22, with both achieving a significant increase in flight distance over previous failed launches, South Korea’s Defense Ministry said.
Both tests were believed to be of a much-hyped, intermediate-range Musudan missile - theoretically capable of reaching U.S. bases as far away as Guam.
International condemnation was swift, with the United States, NATO and Japan labelling the launches a clear violation of U.N. resolutions, and South Korea vowing to push for tighter sanctions on Pyongyang.
Existing U.N. Security Council measures ban North Korea from any use of ballistic missile technology.
The first test shortly before 6:00 am was deemed to have failed after reportedly flying around 150 kilometers over the East Sea or Sea of Japan.
According to Japanese military monitors, the second missile attained a height of 1,000 kilometers and a range of 400 kilometers - a trajectory some experts suggested was calculated to avoid any violation of Japanese air space.
Four failed Musudan tests earlier this year all either exploded on the mobile launch pad or shortly after take-off.
A successful test would mark a major step forward for a weapons program that ultimately aspires to develop a proven nuclear strike capability against the U.S. mainland.
Melissa Hanham, an expert on North Korea’s WMD program at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in California, said the launches represented a worrying step forward.
“The second was likely a success. Testing is iterative and they are learning from each flight,” Hanham told AFP.
“Policymakers need to focus on a testing ban to prevent this from becoming a working missile,” she added.
U.S. State Department spokesman John Kirby said the latest launches would only increase global efforts to counter North Korea’s illicit weapons program.
“We intend to raise our concerns at the U.N. to bolster international resolve in holding [North Korea] accountable for these provocative actions,” Kirby said in a statement.
Japanese broadcaster NHK quoted Prime Minister Shinzo Abe as saying such tests “cannot be tolerated,” while NATO “strongly condemned” the launch in a statement from its secretary general.