No doubt over Russian violation of Turkish, NATO airspace: US
NEW YORK – Doğan News AgencyThe U.S. has confirmed a Russian warplane once again violated Turkish airspace on Jan. 29, an incident that was denied by Moscow.
“… we want the Russians and the Turks to talk about this and to share the appropriate amount of information so that incidents like this won’t happen again. But for our part, there’s no doubt that they entered Turkish and therefore, NATO airspace. No doubt at all,” State spokesperson John Kirby said on Feb. 1 speaking at a daily press meeting.
Kirby also said it was not the country’s responsibility to provide proof of the incident.
“… it’s not our responsibility to provide proof to the Russians for something they did wrong,” he said, reiterating the U.S. call on Russia to respect Turkish airspace.
The Turkish Foreign Ministry said on Jan. 30 that a Russian SU-34 fighter-bomber had been repeatedly warned on Jan. 29 after it violated Turkish airspace.
Both Kremlin and Russian Defense Ministry denied crossing into Turkish airspace, contrary to confirmation from Turkey and NATO. In addition to NATO, the U.S. Department of Defense had previously called on Russia to respect Turkish airspace.