Hrant Dink probe deepens with new arrest, testimony
ISTANBUL – Anadolu AgencyA gendarmerie specialized sergeant who was among 26 suspects detained in a probe over the 2007 killing of journalist Hrant Dink was arrested by an Istanbul court on Aug. 3 on three charges, including murder and being a member of the outlawed Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ), as part of the probe into the July 15 failed coup attempt.
Istanbul’s Çağlayan Courthouse arrested Specialized Sgt. Abdullah Dinç on charges of “attempting to abolish the constitutional order, being a member to FETÖ and deliberate murder” after hearing him and another suspect, former gendarmerie intelligence officer Yusuf Bozca, upon a prosecutor’s demand. Bozca, who was also among the 26 detainees in the Dink probe, was freed on legal control by the same court.
Meanwhile, on July 27, some four gendarmerie officers of various ranks and the owner of a publishing house were detained in Istanbul and the northern province of Trabzon, as part of the Dink probe.
Dink probe prosecutor Gökalp Kökçü said the murder’s gendarmerie leg was separated from the probe that involved civil servants due to lack of access to evidence.
In his arrest demand letter to the court, Kökçü said it would be “far from a legal definition” to identify the acts of the suspects as only membership or leadership of an armed terrorist organization and participation in deliberate murder at the point reached in the wake of the failed July 15 coup attempt, and that the Dink murder was the “first bullet fired” in the process advancing to this attempt.
Dink, 52, was shot dead with two bullets to the head in broad daylight outside the offices of Agos in central Istanbul on Jan. 19, 2007.
Ogün Samast, then a 17-year-old jobless high-school dropout, confessed to the murder and was sentenced to almost 23 years in jail in 2011.
But the case grew into a wider scandal after it emerged that security forces had been aware of a plot to kill Dink but failed to act.