Egypt court orders cancellation of April 22 legislative vote
PORT SAID, Egypt - Agence France-Presse
REUTERS PhotoEgypt's administrative court on Wednesday ordered the cancellation of controversial parliamentary elections scheduled for April 22, throwing the country deeper into political crisis.
It also referred the law governing the elections to the Supreme Constitutional Court for review.
President Mohamed Morsi last month called parliamentary elections on April 22, to take place in four stages over two months.
Egypt's main opposition bloc, the National Salvation Front, announced it would boycott the vote, expressing doubts over its transparency, and demanded a new electoral law.
Fresh clashes erupt in Egypt canal city
New clashes between police and protesters erupted on Wednesday in the Egyptian city of Port Said, the scene of several days of unrest, AFP reporters said.
Police and protesters lobbed rocks at each other under a volley of tear gas that caused several people to collapse. Gunfire could also be heard, as military planes circled low overhead.
Tension has been running high around the main security building in Port Said, which was set ablaze on Tuesday for the second day in a row.
"Dirty government!" the protesters shouted, as they ran away from the thick gas.
The unrest in the Suez Canal city, fuelled by January death sentences handed down to football fans over deadly rioting last year, flared again on Sunday when clashes killed six people, including three policemen.