Three patients treated in Turkey after suspected gas attack in Syria’s Idlib died: Deputy PM Kaynak
AA photoThree people who were transferred to Turkey after a suspected gas attack in Syria’s northwestern province of Idlib killed scores of people on April 4 have died, Deputy Prime Minister Veysi Kaynak has said, state-run Anadolu Agency reported.
“The wounded were brought to our hospital in Reyhanlı and they are being treated there. Of course, very technical conditions are required both for not spreading the activities conducted by the chemical, biological and nuclear weapons to others and for their treatment. Three people died and I gave the instruction for the autopsy of one of them. I also want the World Health Organization [WHO] or amnesty organizations to participate in the autopsy,” Kaynak said.
He also warned the attack could bring an end to the cease-fire and permanent peace efforts in the war-torn country.
“Unfortunately, it is an incident that big countries remain insensitive to and do not put effort for a resolution. One of the most significant negative consequences of this might be the fact that it might unfortunately bring the end of works on a permanent cease-fire that started in Astana with the opposition indirectly being on the table with the Syrian regime,” Kaynak said.
In addition, Turkey has findings indicating that an attack which killed scores of people including children in Syria’s northwestern province of Idlib was a chemical attack, Health Minister Recep Akdağ said April 5.
Around 30 people had been brought across the border to Turkish hospitals for treatment as of April 4, Akdağ told reporters in the eastern province of Erzurum in comments broadcast live. He did not give details of the findings.
The United States, Britain and France on April 4 proposed a U.N. Security Council resolution condemning the attack, which they have blamed on Syrian government forces. The Syrian military denied responsibility.