Retired Commander denies Uludere claims
ISTANBUL - Hürriyet Daily News
A military air raid killed 34 civilians in Şırnak’s Uludere in December 2011. DHA photoSecond Air Force Commander Lt. Gen. Mehmet Veysi Ağar, who allegedly retired because he was responsible for last year’s Uludere incident, said he had performed his duties according to his orders.
“This incident has nothing to do with me, we perform our duties according to what we are ordered,” said Ağar.
Ağar led the operation in Uludere where a botched raid by the Air Force resulted in the death of 34 locals on Dec. 28, 2011. He was later retired by the decision of Turkey’s Supreme Military Council (YAŞ) while waiting for a promotion. “Our names were mentioned in certain places in [the Interior Minister İdris Naim Şahin’s] statements about air commanders after the Uludere incident,” Ağar said in an interview he gave to daily Vatan. “How can I decide on a cross-border operation? Anyone in TSK [Turkish Armed Forces] who needs to, can watch the Heron footage. The military and civilian legal process continues, therefore, I do not want to speak further about this topic. This incident has nothing to do with me. We perform our duties according to what we are ordered.”
Ağar said he and the other generals were targeted and cornered. “These claims about me have ruined me, my surroundings and my family. I retired after these claims and my life is in danger,” he said.