Amateur smokers burn 700 year-old castle
The Krasna Horka castle is seen on fire in the village of Krasnohorske Podhradie near Roznava, eastern Slovakia March 10, 2012. REUTERS PhotoTwo boys started a fire which swallowed a 700 year-old castle in Slovakia, as they tried to smoke their first ever cigarettes, daily Hürriyet has reported.
Aged 11 and 12, the boys had entered the ancient castle to hide while they smoked, and it is believed they accidentally dropped a burning match on the ground, causing some near-by dry leaves to catch fire. 80 firefighters rushed to the castle, as security officers struggled to salvage the antiques and works of art held inside.
The majority of the antiques were saved, but the castle itself was severely damaged. The flames destroyed the roof and the bell tower completely, as well as an entire exhibition in a gothic palace within the castle walls.
The castle was closed for restoration between 2010 and 2011, and had just been reopened for visits last April.