NATO says ready as Iran reportedly considers European targets
LONDON
Iran has examined possible strikes on military targets in southeastern Europe if U.S. President Donald Trump expands military operations against Tehran, the Financial Times reported, citing two people close to the Iranian government.
Iranian forces have assessed U.S. assets in Bulgaria, where parliament last month approved the temporary deployment of American aerial refueling aircraft at Bezmer Air Base, according to the report.
Bulgaria authorized up to eight U.S. KC-135 tanker aircraft and 250 military personnel to use the base from July 24 to Oct. 1 in support of American operations in the Middle East.
One of the sources also named the island of Cyprus as a possible target in the event of a renewed U.S. offensive.
A British air base on the island was struck by a drone in March.
The report presented the options as contingency planning and gave no indication that an attack had been ordered.
Responding to the report, a NATO official said the alliance was prepared for any threat and described its deterrence and defense posture as “strong and effective.”
The official pointed to four occasions earlier this year when NATO air-defense systems intercepted ballistic missiles launched from Iran toward Türkiye.
Greece, meanwhile, is considering moving a Patriot air-defense battery from the southeastern Aegean island of Karpathos to the Souda naval base on Crete, Kathimerini reported.
The transfer would be considered if Souda were assessed to face a significant threat, Greek defense sources told the newspaper. Souda Bay hosts a major Greek and NATO military facility.