Iran announces new body to manage Strait of Hormuz
TEHRAN
Iran’s top security body announced on May 18 the formation of a new body to manage the Strait of Hormuz, which Tehran has effectively closed and wants to charge ships to traverse.
On its official X account, the Supreme National Security Council shared a post for the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA) saying it would provide “real time updates on the #Hormuz_Strait operations and latest developments.”
The account of the Revolutionary Guards navy shared the same post.
It was not immediately clear what the new body would do but earlier this month Iranian English-speaking broadcaster Press TV said it constituted a “system to exercise sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz” and that ships passing through the strait were sent “regulations” from the email info@pgsa.ir.
Iran has largely blocked shipping through the vital strait since the outbreak of war with the United States and Israel on Feb. 28. A fragile ceasefire has been in place since April 8.
Iran’s grip over the waterway has rattled global markets and given Tehran significant leverage, while the United States has imposed its own naval blockade on Iranian ports.
In peacetime, the route accounts for roughly a fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments, along with other key commodities including fertilizer.
Since the war began, Iran has repeatedly said that maritime traffic through the strait would “not return to its pre-war status” and last month it said it had received the first revenue from tolls on the waterway.
On May 16, Ebrahim Azizi, head of the Iranian parliament’s national security commission, said Iran “has prepared a professional mechanism to manage traffic” through the strait, adding that it will be “unveiled soon.”
Meanwhile, Iran said on May 18 it had responded to a new U.S. proposal aimed at ending the war, adding that exchanges were continuing despite Iranian media reports describing Washington’s demands as excessive.
“As we announced yesterday, our concerns were conveyed to the American side,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said during a press briefing, adding that exchanges were “continuing through the Pakistani mediator,” without providing details.
Diplomatic efforts continued as Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan held a phone call with his Iranian counterpart, Abbas Araghchi. The two discussed the latest situation in the negotiation process with the U.S.