Two mine workers who became trapped in a mine in the Mediterranean province of Antalya
succumbed to methane gas poisoning on May 17, Doğan News Agency has reported.
The bodies of the two mine workers, 39-year-old Levent Korkmaz and 35-year-old Esen Çavuş, were reached around 830 meters from the tunnel entrance by a crew from Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) at 3 a.m.
The bodies were taken to the Antalya
Forensic Institute’s morgue for a medical examination.
Antalya Gov. Münir Karaoğlu said the accident in the mine, which is managed by Balyak Mining Limited Company in Antalya’s Kemer district, occurred at 7:43 p.m. on May 16.
“Unfortunately, [we found] the bodies of our two friends, who were taken from the tunnel and taken to the morgue. There was no collapse or blast but there was a high gas leakage. We think that our friends died due to the effects of the gas leak. We will [know for sure] after the autopsy reports,” he said.
Karaoğlu also said an investigation had been opened into the incident.
“An investigation has been started. Crews are there now. The gendarmerie and prosecution will investigate this incident in detail. The Energy Ministry and the General Directorate of Mining Affairs will also participate in the investigation,” he added.
Ten mine workers were in the tunnel when the accident occurred, while four others were also working on the shift, the governor said.
The tunnel is laid out in a horizontal, rather than vertical, fashion, Karaoğlu said.