Turkish gov’t warns CHP head Kılıçdaroğlu of potential attack targeting him
AA photoThe main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu received a security warning from government that he could potentially be targeted in a planned attack or assassination, daily Cumhuriyet reported on Jan. 3.
According to the report, the warning came in the last days of 2016, before the Jan. 1 attack at Istanbul’s Reina nightclub that killed 39 people.
The warning was reportedly based on denunciations that were obtained by officials, and Kılıçdaroğlu was informed quickly on the phone.
Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) head Devlet Bahçeli said on Jan. 3 that they were informed about the assassination threat against Kılıçdaroğlu and the government had offered to provide armored vehicles to all party leaders, but he said the MHP has no such demand.
“Everybody will walk on the path they believe in. I believe Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu will also do the same thing. Our security guard number is stable now. We have no new demand and we have no armored vehicles,” said Bahçeli.
Kılıçdaroğlu was reportedly told last week that he would be provided with an armored vehicle, and on Jan. 3 private broadcaster CNN Türk reported that the CHP leader had been given the vehicle.
Back on Aug. 25, 2016, a party convoy of Kılıçdaroğlu was attacked in the northeastern province of Artvin by outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) militants with rocket launchers. One soldier was killed in the attack, after which the CHP head was offered an armored vehicle by the authorities, which he declined.