Turkish forces detain over 50 PKK-linked suspects

Turkish forces detain over 50 PKK-linked suspects

İZMİR
Turkish forces detain over 50 PKK-linked suspects

Turkish security forces on Dec. 19 detained 51 suspects linked to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), state-run Anadolu Agency has reported.

In a counterterrorism operation, police units in coordination with the National Intelligence Organization’s (MİT) regional directorate conducted raids in five districts of western İzmir province.

Some documents and digital equipment of PKK, as well as a shotgun, were seized in the operation, the agency has also said.

Among the detainees were some connected with the PKK’s mountain cadres. The police have reportedly indicated that the operation stopped a possible attack in the province.

The operation is in progress, as a total of 65 detention warrants were issued by the İzmir Chief Public Prosecutor Office.

Additionally, five PKK militants were killed in a military operation in the eastern Bingöl province on Dec. 19.

The militants were reportedly killed in the Genç district as part of the operation against the organization’s winter configuration.

Meanwhile, a civilian succumbed to his injuries n Dec. 19, from an attack by PKK militants last week in southeastern Turkey, a health official told Anadolu Agency.

Mustafa Yoldaş, a 34-year-old road construction worker, died at a private hospital in the Birecik district of the Şanlıurfa province.

PKK, raid, operation, Counterterrorism