Turkish Embassy in US slams alleged kidnapping of Gülen plot
WASHINGTON –Anadolu Agency
The Turkish Embassy in Washington on Nov. 11 denied allegations that Turkey would use unlawful ways for the extradition of Fethullah Gülen, the U.S based-leader of the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ).
“All allegations that Turkey would resort to means external to the rule of law for Gülen’s extradition are utterly false, ludicrous and groundless,” a statement released by the embassy said.
The Gülen network is widely believed to have orchestrated the July 15, 2016, coup attempt which left 250 people killed and nearly 2,200 injured.
“The fact that Fethullah Gülen, who is the mastermind behind all these crimes, continues to find refuge in the United States remains, perplexing and deeply frustrating for the Turkish people,” it said.
The statement came after a story in the Wall Street Journal claimed investigators working for Special Counsel Robert Mueller on the Russia investigation discovered that the former White House National Security Adviser Michael Flynn met with Turkish representatives twice last year.
According to the story, the latest meeting with Turkish officials took place last December, where Flynn and his son Michael Flynn Jr. were offered $15 million to kidnap Gülen from his multimillion-dollar complex in Pennsylvania.
Describing the allegations as “outrageous” and “false,” Robert Kelner, Flynn’s top attorney, on Nov. 10 also condemned the media report saying they had tried to avoid responding to every allegation and rumor taking place against his client but they are making an exception this time.