Tuesday, September 13 2011 , Your time is 15:58:00
Former Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ, who was appointed as deputy prime minister last week in a government reshuffle, has been appointed as the new government spokesperson.
Seventeen executives and journalists from daily Cumhuriyet, including the newspaper’s editor-in-chief Murat Sabuncu, Ahmet Şık, Kadri Gürsel and cartoonist Musa Kart, went for the first time on trial on July 24 with terror-related accusations in the 27th Heavy Penal Court in Istanbul
CHP leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu said on July 23 that Turkey’s Constitutional Court should release the jailed CHP Istanbul lawmaker Enis Berberoğlu based on a February ruling that paved the way for the release of the two Cumhuriyet journalists
Turkey and Gulf countries have agreed on the continuation of efforts and initiatives to ease the Qatar crisis, Presidential Spokesperson İbrahim Kalın has said in a statement
The start of the trial against journalists and board members of the daily newspaper Cumhuriyet highlights the urgent need to protect journalism and improve media freedom in Turkey, Harlem Désir, the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media stated.
Turkey’s Council of State has approved a local court decision on a major copper mine in the Black Sea province of Artvin, a project that has triggered strong reactions and protests by locals and environmentalists.
One soldier was killed and another two were injured on July 24 in an outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) attack in the Baykan district of the southeastern province of Siirt, Doğan News Agency has reported.
Daily News - Follow us on