Turkey calls for international probe into Khashoggi murder
ISTANBUL / RIYADH
"At the current stage we believe an international investigation is a must," Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu was quoted as saying by the state-run Anadolu news agency on Nov. 14.
Turkish media has published gruesome details of the murder. According to a Turkish prosecutor he was strangled and dismembered soon after he stepping through the mission’s doors.
Turkey had initially prioritised cooperation with Saudi Arabia, and Riyadh last month dispatched its chief prosecutor to Istanbul for talks with Turkish authorities and to examine the consulate -- scene of the murder.
But he added that was not the case any more and the government now believed an international probe was essential.
"We will do whatever needed to shed light on all its aspects of this murder," Çavuşoğlu said.
Proposal for Turkish trial with international observers
A senior Turkish official has proposed that suspects be tried in a Turkish court observed by international human rights groups.
"Let the human rights units from all respected organisations, from the United Nations to the European Union, come and watch this trial," said Ömer Çelik, spokesman for the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) said on Nov. 14.
"Let them judge whether the trial fits the standards of international law," Çelik, a former minister, told a news conference.
According to AFP, cyborg artists, parkour pioneers and a British boxing star headlined a Saudi youth conference Nov. 14 hosted by the powerful crown prince’s charity.
Organisers of the MISK Global Forum kept its speakers and sponsors secret until the event began, apparently to avoid the mass cancellations that beset a glitzy investment summit in Riyadh last month amid global outrage over the journalist’s murder.
Shaima Hamidaddin, executive manager of the two-day forum, said there were hundreds of participants from "almost every continent", making this year’s event at Riyadh’s Four Seasons hotel its most diverse ever.
But conspicuously absent were the star attractions of last year’s forum, which drew heavyweights such as Queen Rania of Jordan, Bill Gates and a host of Western media personalities.
Bill and Melinda Gates suspend work
Expressing shock over Khashoggi’s murder on Oct. 2 in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, the Microsoft co-founder’s Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation said this month it was suspending all future work with the MISK Foundation, the youth charity organising the conference.
The Gates Foundation had pledged $5 million to the non-profit, which is chaired by Crown Prince Mohammed.
Khashoggi’s murder has plunged the world’s top oil exporter into its worst diplomatic crisis since the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, in which most of the hijackers were identified as Saudi nationals.
Karen Attiah, editor of Khashoggi’s columns at The Washington Post -- many of which were critical of the prince -- has called on US institutions to boycott the forum, which bills itself as "the biggest youth event in the Middle East".
A French executive attending the event on Nov. 14 said participants and panelists were largely from the Middle East, many from Saudi Arabia itself.
Also noting that the "quality of speakers" had dropped in comparison to last year, he told AFP that the president of his organisation had pulled out of the event following Gates’s announcement, opting instead to send junior executives.
'The crisis cannot just be wished away'
He added that one of his peers had been hurriedly lined up as a speaker only last week, indicating that delegates had been dropping out until the last minute.
That has echoes of FII -- dubbed "Davos in the desert" -- which was shunned by dozens of global business titans including British billionaire Richard Branson and Siemens chief executive Joe Kaeser.
"The (Khashoggi) crisis cannot just be wished away," said Christian Koch, director of the Gulf Research Center Foundation, who is attending MGF.
"For foreign enterprises in Saudi, it is a tricky balance between managing the reputational risk and doing business. But maintaining that balance has become a lot harder."
Still, MGF organisers managed to rope in some high-profile speakers such as Royal Dutch Shell CEO Ben van Beurden and former boxing champ Amir Khan, who heaped praise on the kingdom.
List of speakers kept as secret
Brazilian football superstar Ronaldinho also made an appearance, giving a closed-door talk that was off-limits to journalists.
Organisers refused to comment on why the list of speakers for Nov. 14 had been kept under wraps till the start of the event. They said the speakers for Nov. 15 will be published just before the conference starts.
Nozimakhon Davletova, a 29-year-old human resources manager from Uzbekistan, said news of Khashoggi’s killing was "disgusting" but it would be a greater travesty to not attend a forum that encourages youth development.
Many Western firms have too much at stake to abandon the Arab world’s biggest economy, observers say.
Several international consulting firms working in the kingdom have kept multimillion-dollar contracts in the kingdom despite the murder.
"Companies care about their bottom line and not everyone is saying ’We won’t do business with Saudi because one man got murdered’," a Western official told AFP.
"Doing business here is a calculated decision. In the end, you hold your nose and look the other way."
Following the FII, Saudi energy minister Khalid al-Falih said foreign companies which had boycotted the investment forum later "apologised" and vowed a return to normal ties. He did not name the firms.
Saudis have seen attendance at high-profile events as something of a loyalty test.
A Westerner recounted to AFP a persuasive argument made by a Saudi official: "Remember this, those who stood by us through 9/11 made a lot of cash in the long run."