Turkey blasts Europe’s ‘silence’ on New Zealand terror attacks
ANKARA – Anadolu Agency
Turkey’s president on March 18 blasted European countries for being silent in the face of last week’s terror attacks on two mosques in New Zealand, killing or injuring some 100 people.
Europe is silent on this issue, and the Western media is insidious, said Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, speaking in a televised interview.
At least 50 people were killed when a terrorist opened fire on worshippers during Friday prayers last week at the Al Noor and Linwood mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.
About as many were injured, with several still in critical condition.
Commenting on Turkish-EU relations, Erdoğan said the EU cannot halt Turkey’s accession negotiations because they need Turkey.
Erdoğan’s remarks came after the European Parliament last week passed a non-binding report urging the suspension of Turkey’s EU accession process.
Ankara slammed the report for bias, inaccuracy, and prejudice.
Turkey applied for EU membership in 1987 and accession talks began in 2005.
But negotiations stalled in 2007 due to the objections of the Greek Cypriot administration on the divided island of Cyprus as well as opposition from Germany and France.