Syria says Turkish incursion ‘flagrant aggression’
DAMASCUS - ReutersTurkey informed the Syrian Consulate in Istanbul about a military operation to evacuate its military personnel protecting the Tomb of Süleyman Şah in northern Syria, but Ankara did not await permission from Damascus, the Syrian government said Feb. 22.
The Syrian government has described the incursion as "flagrant aggression," holding Turkey responsible for the "repercussions of this aggression."
Turkey has evacuated its military personnel protecting the Tomb of Süleyman Şah in northern Syria as well as the artifacts in the mausoleum in an operation jointly conducted by the intelligence organization and the Turkish army.
The tomb, around 37 kilometers from the Turkish border, is regarded as Turkish territory by international agreements and was protected by around 40 soldiers.
Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said that the artifacts had been “temporarily” brought to Turkey, while the Turkish army “took control of an area in the Ashma region of Syria, raising our flag, where Süleyman Şah will later be transferred.”