Sub Categories:/» Homepage/» TURKEY/» RIGHTS
Tuesday, September 13 2011 , Your time is 15:58:00
Veteran New York Times correspondent Rod Nordland was briefly detained by border officials in Turkey as he arrived on Jan. 17 at Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport, before being forced to take a flight back to London, with no explanation given as to why he had been refused entry into the country.
Arrested journalist Hüsnü Mahalli’s health is severely deteriorating, a main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy has said, urging that Mahalli, who has multiple sclerosis, should not be treated under such appalling conditions.
Linking Doğan Group to the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ), the suspected network behind the July 15 foiled coup attempt, is out of reason and conscience, Doğan Group’s deputy chairman responsible for corporate communications, Ahter Kutadgu, has said
An Istanbul prosecutor has demanded up to nine years in jail for prominent Turkish journalist Hasan Cemal on charges of “making terror propaganda” in one of his articles
ECHR on Jan. 10 ruled in favor of Switzerland over a case in which Turkish-origin parents said their right to “freedom of thought, conscience and religion” was breached when they were fined by Swiss authorities for refusing to send their daughters to co-ed swimming lessons
Human Rights Watch (HRW) released on Jan. 12 a report claiming that the Turkish government used last year’s foiled military coup to launch an “expansive crackdown that swept up peaceful critics and undermined democracy.”
One of the Turkey’s most prominent novelists, Aslı Erdoğan, says that despite her release she feels like she is still in jail, 10 days after her release after being held in prison for 136 days
An Istanbul prosecutor has sought life sentences for main opposition CHP lawmaker Enis Berberoğlu, as well as 10 years in prison for daily Cumhuriyet’s former editor-in-chief, Can Dündar, and the daily’s Ankara bureau chief, Erdem Gül, over a report on intelligence trucks
The government took over all appointment rights in the military with three sweeping new state of emergency decrees issued late on Jan. 6, with the authority for the formation of cadres in the General Staff transferred to Turkey’s Defense Ministry