Panel seeking coup info from US Embassy
ANKARA - Hürriyet Daily News
A parliamentarian panel asks the US Embassy on a telegram over the claims by late PM Erbakan on an alleged US backing for the Feb 28 military campaign against him. AA photoA parliamentarian panel asks the US Embassy on a telegram over the claims by late PM Erbakan on an alleged US backing for the Feb 28 military campaign against him.
The Parliamentary Coups and Military Memorandums Inquiry Commission will formally ask the U.S. Embassy in Turkey for information regarding a diplomatic telegram cited by the late Premier Necmettin Erbakan as the reason for the “Feb. 28 process.” This refers to the harsh army-led campaign that forced Turkey’s first Islamist prime minister, Erbakan, to resign in June 1997.
“The Feb. 28 process began with a diplomatic telegram from the U.S.,” Erbakan said at the time.
Original telegram sought
The ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) Kayseri deputy Yaşar Karayel, the chair of the Parliamentary Coups and Military Memorandums Inquiry Commission’s subcommission on Feb. 28, yesterday told Anatolia news agency that they had requested the original diplomatic telegram from Erbakan’s close friend and aid Recai Kutan.
“The original telegram has not yet arrived. We asked for the original document from Mr. Kutan and we learned that the translation process was ongoing. Upon receiving the original document, we will make the necessary assessments and ask for information regarding the matter from the U.S. Embassy,” Karayel said.
Noting that the telegram consisted of five to six articles, Karayel said the telegram stated that because the Turkish government of the time “does not suit U.S. interests, counter actions against this government should start.” Recalling that the telegram had been sent to U.S. officials based in the Middle East and eastern Europe, Karayel said: “We will assess these claims in the original document and the information will be asked of the U.S. Embassy accordingly.”