LEADING NEWS SOURCE FOR TURKEY AND THE REGION

EUROPE > One in five young Germans unaware of Auschwitz: poll

BERLIN - Agence France-Presse

Print Page Send to friend »
In this Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2010 file photo, visitors from around the world pass under the infamous Arbeit Macht Frei "Work Sets You Free" sign over the main gate at the former Nazi death camp Auschwitz, in Poland. AP photo

In this Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2010 file photo, visitors from around the world pass under the infamous Arbeit Macht Frei "Work Sets You Free" sign over the main gate at the former Nazi death camp Auschwitz, in Poland. AP photo

One in five young Germans has no idea that Auschwitz was a Nazi death camp, a poll released Wednesday showed, two days ahead of Holocaust memorial day.

Although 90 percent of those asked did know it was a concentration camp, the poll for Thursday's edition of Stern news magazine revealed that Auschwitz meant nothing to 21 percent of 18-29 year olds.

And nearly a third of the 1,002 people questioned last Thursday and Friday for the poll were unaware that Auschwitz was in today's Poland.

The poll comes ahead of the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz by Soviet troops on January 27, 1945, which Germany has marked since 1996 with official memorial ceremonies for Holocaust victims.

According to a report by independent experts commissioned by the German parliament and published earlier this week, about one in five Germans is latently anti-Semitic.

January/25/2012

PRINTER FRIENDLY Send to friend »

READER COMMENTS

Notice on comments

JJ Ahf

2/19/2012 2:23:13 AM

True it is interesting to see all these haters here. This shows how sick they are. Who says Turkey is the most perfect country in this world? You can criticize any country you want but you guys show deep hate here.

Hakan Afacan

2/5/2012 3:36:38 AM

Reading these comments from all these foreign people & their hate for the Turkish people makes me very sad indeed & makes me believe hate is what causes genocide & I am saddened by all deaths caused by war, reasons don't matter all is sad

Chris Green

1/29/2012 3:35:00 PM

In Britain, if you asked youngsters who Churchill was, they are likely to answer "Isn't he the name of that insurance company?"

Tony fitz

1/27/2012 10:54:33 AM

Irish potato famine, Hirishima bomb, Boer war atrocities, Japan,s treatment of the Chinese etc etc etc etc. Seems some countries are allowed to forget more than others.

bart bartydom

1/27/2012 7:10:05 AM

The headline should read "Eight of Ten Young Germans HAVE Heard of Auschwitz!", and German society should be lauded for continuing to fill their children with guilt and shame. 20% anti-semitism aint bad either when the rest of the world is at 80%!

Gummint Skooler

1/26/2012 6:48:31 PM

What's Auschwitz?

Mark Twain

1/26/2012 6:33:32 PM

ONLY BE ON YOUR GUARD and diligently watch yourselves, SO THAT YOU DON'T FORGET the things that your eyes have seen and so that they don't slip from your minds as long as you live. TEACH THEM TO YOUR CHILDREN AND YOUR GRANDCHILDREN. - - Moses

Dave Taylor

1/26/2012 6:07:21 PM

I wonder what percentage of young Turks are unaware of the Armenian genocide.

Chris Green

1/26/2012 5:55:21 PM

Mr Taylor, your point is well made but I would go further and once more suggest that in fact the EU is the embodiment of the 4th Reich! As for 'youth ignorance' if you ask youngsters in the UK who Churchill was, they'd say "doesnt he sell insurance?"

Christine Guerriero

1/26/2012 5:50:50 PM

People move on? What's wrong with that? Are you insane? The senseless slaughter of 6 million people is a tragedy that should NEVER be forgotten. I feel sorry for you.
< >

MOST POPULAR

AcerPro S.I.P.A HTML & CSS Agency