President Abdullah Gül welcomed the government’s move to abolish specially authorized courts on the second day of his official visit to Italy. DHA Photo
President Abdullah Gül has welcomed the government’s move to abolish specially authorized courts, saying there is "no need "for such courts.
“I believe that there is no need for special courts and steps are being taken about this issue,” Gül told reporters on Jan. 30 in Rome.
Specially authorized courts had already been abolished in 2012, but are continuing to pursue the trials that had started earlier, the president noted. “Now those cases will be delivered to normal courts,” he said, adding that recent remarks on the issue by Cabinet members were pleasing.
Gül was in the Italian capital on the second day of his official visit. Earlier in the day, he laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and spoke at the Turkish-Italian Business Forum’s opening. Gül also hosted a reception at the hotel where he was staying in honor of his Italian counterpart President Giorgio Napolitano.
Late Jan. 29, Gül attended a dinner hosted by Napolitano. Speaking at the dinner, Gül deplored what he called “unacceptable” obstacles to Turkey’s bid to enter the European Union.
“There are political obstacles preventing Turkey from moving forward in the EU negotiations,” he stated, describing these obstacles as “unacceptable.”
Turkey’s goal remained “full EU membership” Gül said, adding, “New life needs to be breathed into the negotiations.”
He also thanked Italy for its “continuing support” for Turkey’s bid to join the EU.
Napolitano confirmed that his country would keep backing Ankara’s bid to join the EU despite “complex and thorny issues.”