New homes for quake survivors delayed
ANKARA – Hürriyet Daily NewsDeputy Prime Minister Beşir Atalay conceded the government would not be able to provide the promised quota of container homes for quake-stricken Van by year-end.
Ankara has ordered 20,700 housing containers, 10,000 of which have so far been sent to Van, where a harsh winter makes life even harder for the survivors of the Oct. 23 quake. Speaking at a meeting of the Earthquake Consultation Board Dec 16, Atalay said the deadline for Van had been extended until January. Officials had previously said all housing containers would be provided by the end of December.
Meanwhile, a three-month-old baby was killed and another five children were injured in a tent fire in Van on Friday. The incident started when a spark from the stove spread on the floor in the tent of the Duru family, the reports said.
There are currently 18,000 people living in 14 “tent-cities,” while 35,000 local residents have been relocated to other provinces, said BeşirAtalay.