N Korea ‘cautious’ in announcing stance over upcoming talks with US

N Korea ‘cautious’ in announcing stance over upcoming talks with US

SEOUL – Reuters
N Korea ‘cautious’ in announcing stance over upcoming talks with US

North Korea’s silence on its upcoming summits with the United States and South Korea is likely due to caution over organising its stance regarding the meetings, South Korea’s Ministry of Unification said on March 12.

“We have not seen nor received an official response from the North Korean regime regarding the North Korea-U.S. summit,” said Baik Tae-hyun, spokesman for the ministry, in a regular press conference.

“I feel they’re approaching this matter with caution and they need time to organize their stance.”

North Korean media noted a visit by a senior delegation from South Korea last week but no coverage has been seen of Kim Jong Un’s invitation to meet U.S. President Donald Trump or South Korean President Moon Jae-in to discuss the future of Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons programme.

The South Korean officials who carried Kim’s invitation to Washington are visiting China and Japan this week to update state heads on the talks.

South Korea’s National Security Office chief Chung Eui-yong who led the delegation will head to Russia on March 13 after meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping on March 12, the Blue House said.

Trump agreed to meet with Kim Jong Un by the end of May and the two Koreas will hold a summit by end-April.

A location has not been decided for the North Korea-U.S. summit while Kim Jong Un and Moon will meet at the truce village of Panmunjom straddling the border between the two Koreas.

Korea, North Korea, South Korea, Ministry of Unification