Kuwait seeks to calm Philippines crisis over workers
KUWAIT CITY – Agence France-Presse
The resulting row deepened last week after Kuwaiti authorities ordered Manila’s envoy to leave the country over videos of Philippine embassy staff helping workers in Kuwait flee allegedly abusive employers.
“This is largely a misunderstanding and exaggeration of some minor or one-off cases,” Deputy Foreign Minister Nasser al-Subaih told reporters in Kuwait City.
“We have taken a serious stance ... but we do not believe in escalation and want to remain in direct communication to resolve the problem,” Subaih added.
Kuwait has also detained four Filipinos hired by the Philippine embassy and issued arrest warrants against three diplomatic personnel.
The foreign ministry was “awaiting cooperation” for their handover to carry out an investigation.
But after the fresh escalation in tensions, Duterte said on April 20 that the temporary ban on Filipinos going to work in Kuwait was now permanent.