LEADING NEWS SOURCE FOR TURKEY AND THE REGION

EUROPE > Hungarian Nazi suspect cleared of 1941 deportation

BUDAPEST- Agence France-Presse

Print Page Send to friend »
A file photograph showing alleged Hungarian war criminal Laszlo Csatary sits in a car as he leaves the Budapest Prosecutor's Office after he was questioned by detectives on charges of war crimes during WWII and prosecutors ordered his house arrest in Budapest, Hungary, 18 July 2012. EPA photo

A file photograph showing alleged Hungarian war criminal Laszlo Csatary sits in a car as he leaves the Budapest Prosecutor's Office after he was questioned by detectives on charges of war crimes during WWII and prosecutors ordered his house arrest in Budapest, Hungary, 18 July 2012. EPA photo

Hungarian prosecutors cleared Tuesday a 97-year-old of organising the 1941 deportation of 300 Jews but were still probing more serious allegations about his later World War II activities.
 
Accusations that Laszlo Csatary sent the 300 to their deaths at the Kamyanets-Podilsky camp in Ukraine were "groundless" since he was neither present nor had sufficient rank at the time, Budapest prosecutors said.
 
"Based on our information, Laszlo Csatary was not implicated in the Kamyanets-Podilsky deportations and was not able in any way to play a role," spokeswoman Bettina Bagoly told AFP.
 
She added however that allegations that in 1944 as a senior policeman Csatary had a major part in deporting 15,700 people to Nazi death camps from the Jewish ghetto in Kosice in present-day Slovakia were still being studied.
 
Both accusations were levelled by the Simon Wiesenthal Center, which lists Csatary, full name Laszlo Csizsik-Csatary, at the top of its dwindling list of suspected Nazi war criminals.
 
Csatary was sentenced to death in absentia by a court in Czechoslovakia in 1948 but he fled to Canada where he worked as an art dealer before being stripped of his citizenship and returning to Hungary 15 years ago.
 
Last September prosecutors began an investigation and he was put under house arrest on July 18. On July 31 he rejected all accusations against him, denying being the commander of the Kosice ghetto or signing documents in that capacity.
 
Slovakian Justice Minister Tomas Borec said last month he wanted Csatary to be tried in his country, echoing a similar call by Slovakia's Jewish community.

August/07/2012

PRINTER FRIENDLY Send to friend »

READER COMMENTS

Notice on comments

martine tiramani

7/22/2013 9:59:46 PM

hyppocratic oath, drs are not suppose to kill wether it be for your sign or your religion.

john albay

8/8/2012 7:29:45 AM

@ed frias. first of all he has not been found guilty yet! As far as I understand being jewish is not yet a crime. It seems to me you come to the aid of zionist murderers of innocent Turks on the high seas! As I said in my post look at the evil israeli record of "human rights" before you want to hang untried old men,but I dont you understand that concept of a fair trail!

Ed Frias Ed Frias

8/7/2012 10:28:13 PM

John Albay, this monster Laszlo Csatary is responsible for murdering over 15,000 Jewish civilians whose only crime was that they were Jewish. I dont care if he's 197 years old. He deserves the death penalty. It figures you come to the aid of Nazis.

john albay

8/7/2012 8:10:07 PM

Why bother with this old man,it is in human to do that to an old man,he will soon meet the higest judge and he will know what he did or did not do! As for the evil zionists who want only one thing revenge and money,they should look at their own record of treating people before they start chasing old men!
< >

MOST POPULAR

AcerPro S.I.P.A HTML & CSS Agency