PARIS - Agence France-Presse
Photo taken on July 16, 2012 shows the balcony of Dr Csatary L., alias Ladislaus Csizsik-Csatary, on the last floor of a Budapest building. The Nazi-hunting Simon Wiesenthal Centre confirmed on July 15, 2012 that Laszlo Csatary, accused of complicity in the killings of 15,700 Jews, had been tracked down to the Hungarian capital. AFP Photo
Nazi-hunter Serge Klarsfeld said today he doubted Hungarian authorities would prosecute Laszlo Csatary, a 97-year-old accused of complicity in the killings of 15,700 Jews and tracked down in Budapest.
"I am not sure there will be legal action taken with this conservative government" of Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, Klarsfeld, a French
lawyer and Nazi
hunter, told AFP.
The Nazi-hunting Simon Wiesenthal Centre confirmed Sunday that Csatary, who in 1948 was condemned to death by a Czech
court after a trial held in his absence, had been tracked to the Hungarian capital.
Hungarian authorities said they were conducting an investigation.
The centre identified Csatary as its "No. 1 Most Wanted suspect", but Klarsfeld said he had "never heard" of him.
"In my opinion he did not have major responsibilities, he must have been a stooge," Klarsfeld said, adding that the only reason he would be at the top of the list is because so few Nazi
war criminals remain.
"Thirty years ago, he would have been 3,500th on the list," he said.
The Wiesenthal Centre has urged Hungarian prosecutors to put Csatary on trial, saying he served during World War II as a senior Hungarian police officer in the Slovakian city of Kosice, then under Hungarian rule.
He is accused of being complicit in the deportations of thousands of Jews from Kosice and its environs to the Auschwitz death camp in the spring of 1944.
He had earlier fled to Canada
and had worked as an art dealer using a false identity, before being unmasked in 1995 and forced to flee.