Former chief of general staff Karadayı released
İsmail Hakkı Karadayı, Hürriyet Photo.Turkey’s former Chief of General Staff İsmail Hakkı Karadayı was released on conditions of trial without arrest. Karadayı will reportedly be kept under judicial control. He is banned from leaving the country and is obliged to sign papers every week in police office.
Karadayı who has recently left the court, is expected to return to Istanbul with a civil vehicle.
He was sent to court for arrest earlier today in the capital of Ankara after responding to 83 questions during his almost 4-hour long testimony.
Former chief of general staff Karadayı taken into custody in Feb 28 investigation
Turkey’s former Chief of General Staff İsmail Hakkı Karadayı has been detained as a part of the ongoing Feb. 28 investigation, daily Hürriyet reported today.
Karadayı’s detention came after retired Gen. Çevik Bir, who was also arrested as part of the same case, denounced Karaday and demanded the ex-general be questioned about the post-modern coup case.
In the 11-page long complaint petition issued by Çevik, the general gave detailed information on how the West Study Group (BÇG) was founded and claimed Karadayı also had knowledge about the group. Karadayı had previously told Parliament’s Coup Inquiry Commission that he didn’t know anything about the BÇG.
The BÇG is a committee of military officials that is said to have monitored the government, keeping illegal records of private information about hundreds of thousands of people as part of the Feb. 28 process.
The “post-modern” coup, or the Feb. 28 process, refers to a military intervention that forced late ex-prime minister Necmettin Erbakan to resign. The process is named for the Feb. 28, 1997, meeting of the National Security Council (MGK).
Another former Chief of General Staff Gen. İlker Başbuğ is currently being held under arrest in connection with the Ergenekon case, which aims to unravel an alleged ultra-nationalist gang accused of planning to topple the government in a military coup.