Erdoğan advises dismissing allegations about top judge
ANKARA - Hürriyet Daily News
CHP deputy Tanrıkulu (M) appeals to the Office of the Council of State asking that a disciplinary and punishment investigation against Karakullukçu be opened. AA photoPrime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan yesterday downplayed grave allegations concerning the head of the Council of State, Hüseyin Karakullukçu, calling the allegations part of a campaign aimed at disturbing institutions and their administrators.
“Do not deliberate on these kinds of comical allegations,” Erdoğan said in response to a question at a press conference ahead of his departure from Ankara for London. “All of these allegations are steps aimed at eroding our institutions and the people leading these institutions; and I doubt the sincerity of those who have taken these steps.”
Istanbul prosecutors have been investigating claims that Yalçın Bayrak, an alleged member of a criminal organization, pursued illicit contacts with the Council of State in regards to penalties issued against companies belonging to a man who was arrested for heading the fraudulent export organization. The investigation revealed that Bayrak had met with Karakullukçu, that Bayrak had secured appointments on multiple dates from Karakullukçu’s secretary to meet with the judge, and that some of these appointments had been kept.
Earlier yesterday, main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy Sezgin Tanrıkulu appealed to the Office of the Council of State asking that a disciplinary and punishment investigation against Karakullukçu be opened.
Holding a press conference after entering his appeal, Tanrıkulu said the Council of State had not so far launched any investigation into Karakullukçu. Karakullukçu should spare the institution from hearsay, and request retirement, Tanrıkulu said. The issue requires a criminal investigation, Tanrıkulu said. The investigation in Istanbul, considered the largest export fraud investigation in recent years, was conducted by Büyükçekmece Public Prosecutor Mustafa Kemal Gül. Karakullukçu was also involved in the case.
The investigation began when a claim of fraud amounting to about 100 million Turkish Liras was made by telephone to the Istanbul Police Department’s Financial Crime Division on June 16, 2011.