Eight soldiers killed in PKK bomb attack in Turkey’s southeast
DHA photoEight soldiers were killed in a bomb attack staged by the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) in Turkey’s southeastern province of Siirt on Aug. 19.
PKK militants remotely detonated a bomb placed on the road linking Siirt to its district of Pervari during the passing of a military patrolling convoy at around 2.10 p.m. on Aug. 19, the Turkish General Staff announced in a statement. It said the bomb, which had been planted beforehand on the road, was detonated remotely.
The Siirt governorate issued a statement confirming the deaths of the eight soldiers and adding that there were no other injuries in the incident. It said a broad-range operation was launched in the area to find the perpetrators.