Dutch court okays terror suspect's extradition to US
THE HAGUE - Agence France-Presse
AFP photoThe Dutch Supreme Court Tuesday gave the go-ahead for the extradition of a Dutch man to the United States, where he is accused of planning acts of terror, including an attack on a US army base in Afghanistan.
The man, identified as Sabir K., is accused in an indictment of planning to commit acts of terror including a suicide attack on a US military base in Afghanistan's Kunar province two years ago.
"Sabir K., who is wanted in the United States on suspicion of planning terror acts may be extradited to the US," the court said in a press release, posted online.
Neither the court nor the 25-year-old man's lawyers gave his last name.
Arrested in Pakistan, Sabir K. was brought back in April last year to the Netherlands, where the Rotterdam regional court ruled in favour of his extradition. His lawyers then lodged an appeal.
Sabir K. opposed his extradition request -- filed by the United States on 27 June last year -- claiming that US officials had a role in his alleged torture while in custody in Pakistan.
"There are no legal obstacles to the extradition," the Supreme Court ruling said, stressing that the final decision rested with Dutch Justice Minister Ivo Opstelten.
If the minister agrees to extradite Sabir K., his legal team will then take the case to the European Court of Human Rights, his lawyer Andre Seebregts told AFP.