Deadly Kabul hotel siege ends, all gunmen killed

Deadly Kabul hotel siege ends, all gunmen killed

KABUL
Deadly Kabul hotel siege ends, all gunmen killed

Afghan Special Forces ended an overnight siege at Kabul’s Intercontinental Hotel on Jan. 21, killing the last gunman from a group of three attackers who stormed the hotel, taking hostages and battling security forces for hours.

Two gunmen were killed on Saturday night. It was initially reported that four gunmen had attacked the hotel. Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish said at least five other people had been killed and six wounded, a lower casualty total than earlier feared, while 153 people, including 41 foreigners had been evacuated.

As day broke on Jan. 21, thick clouds of black smoke could be seen pouring from the building. Several armored U.S. military vehicles with heavy machine guns could be seen close to the hotel along with Afghan police units.

The raid came just days after a U.S. embassy warning of possible attacks on hotels in Kabul.

Turkey strongly condemned on Jan. 21 the terror attack in the Afghan capital.

“We learned with great sorrow that many were killed and wounded due to a terrorist attack perpetrated at a hotel in Kabul,” the Foreign Ministry said in a written statement.

“We strongly condemn this terrorist attack and convey our condolences to the friendly and brotherly government, and people of Afghanistan.”

Kabul, Afghanistan, siege, hotel