Date for quintet summit on Cyprus should be decided: Turkish Foreign Ministry
AA photoThe Turkish Foreign Ministry called on all parties of the Cyprus talks to determine a date for a five-party conference without delay, and meanwhile continue negotiations.
Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hüseyin Müftüoğlu said on Nov. 23 that “a valuable opportunity has been missed” at a critical phase of the negotiation process between the Turkish and Greek Cypriots, as talks this week in Mont Pelerin ended without a deal.
Ankara will now make an assessment with the Turkish Cypriots and remains determined to find a viable solution to the Cyprus dispute, said Müftüoğlu in a written statement.
Turkish Cypriot President Mustafa Akıncı and his Greek Cypriot counterpart, Nicos Anastasiades, had been engaged in intensified talks in Mont Pelerin for a second time in under two weeks but the negotiations failed to produce a result, the United Nations said in a statement late on Nov. 21.
“Despite their best efforts, they have not been able to achieve the necessary further convergences on criteria for territorial adjustments that would have paved the way for the last phase of the talks,” the U.N. added.