Army denies misinforming government on downed jet
ISTANBUL - Hürriyet Daily News
Hürriyet photoThe Turkish Armed Forces has denied any allegations regarding a recent daily Taraf report accusing the forces of misinforming the government over the circumstances surrounding the downing of a Turkish jet off Syria on June 22.
The Armed Forces stated on its website that “the General Staff always provides correct and timely information to both the government and the public."
The statement branded the Taraf report as "completely speculative."
In a news report yesterday, daily Taraf claimed the F-4 military jet was shot down in Syrian waters, according to data from a NATO Command in İzmir and a British military base in Greek Cyprus. Western sources also said the plane had been shot down in Syrian waters, according to Taraf.
Taraf claimed today that Ankara was "now looking for the ones responsible for the misinformation."
The Turkish jet was definitely not shot down by anti-aircraft fire as suggested by Syrian officials, the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) said in early July, while reiterating that the aircraft was shot down by Syria.