Al-Jazeera close to acquiring Digiturk, sources say
ANKARAQatar-based television network Al-Jazeera is in advanced negotiations to buy Turkish satellite network Digiturk, which broadcasts Turkey’s top-tier football league, three sources told Reuters.
“The talks with BelN may finalize in a few weeks,” a source told the agency March 24. The BeIN Media Group is the sports sector subsidiary of Al-Jazeera.
One source said the talks were on the acquisition of all shares in Digiturk.
Digiturk, which has broadcasting rights for Turkey’s Spor Toto Super League until the end of the 2016-2017 season, is 53 percent owned by Turkey’s Çukurova Holding, while the remaining 47 percent is owned by U.S. private equity group Providence Equity Partners.
Çukurova, a holding controlled by Turkish businessman Mehmet Emin Karamehmet, had its Digiturk stake seized in 2013 by Turkey’s Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) because of its debts to the state agency.
The fund declined to comment on the report, state-run Anadolu Agency reported March 25.